CENTER FOR MINORITY ENTREPRENEURSHIP
The Motiso Center for Minority Entrepreneurship provides enterprises an opportunity to build organizations that are best in class for planning, financial management, market management, business operations, and resource capacity.
Our mission is building the capacity of disadvantaged entrepreneurs and their organizations by being affordable, expert business partners.
Our external vision is that minority and women leaders of emerging and start-up firms:
- Have dedicated access to expert management consultants, financial services, and training services that are affordable,
- Are able to achieve their goals and create sustainable businesses,
- Have the ability to create more jobs in their communities, and
- Have an opportunity to help other firms achieve similar successes.
Our vision for our organization’s future is that we will be a national organization that specializes in advancing minority- and woman-owned companies from stage-one start up to stage- two growth.
Minority and women business owners thrive by working with us because we provide hands-on support that is affordable, and we complement and extend the support of existing programs such as SBA, SCORE, and SBDC. Our distinction is that we emphasize “Excellence” in critical areas that create business success while providing:
- Hands-on management consulting
- Leadership and management capacity building training
- Micro financing incorporating financial literacy training
- Access to a consortium network for support
Entrepreneurship: Entrepreneurship must be viewed as a behavior rather than a person who starts a business. In order to drive the market, companies must become more entrepreneurial by using creativity, being proactive, and taking calculated risks. Creativity and innovation drives differentiation.
Strategy: The leading cause of business failure is lack of planning, poor planning for the future, or poor execution of the plan. Grounded in theory and practice, we craft corporate and operating unit strategies to deliver sustainable competitive advantage. We analyze all factors impacting short- and long-term profits; then formulate policies to achieve business objectives, stability, and growth. You will experience the process of viewing your business from multiple angles as we craft the right plan for sustainable growth.
Implementation: Strong execution is a leadership essential internal to the business and external in the market. A great leader is also a great executioner. This is where we turn strategic plans, marketing plans, and operational plans into performance and results. To create high value growth, new business plans must be implemented rapidly. In the current environment of hyper-competition and technological change, accelerated implementation of the business plans is crucial. Your integrated implementation plan will be comprehensive yet prioritized to address the dynamic environment of your business.
Our corporate strategy is built on a blending of a social change agenda with management and financial services, without the high cost to the constituent. In our model communities take an active role in helping small, disadvantaged businesses grow and create jobs, thereby increasing the economic situation of communities in which businesses operate in.
There are two roles communities play with Motiso Group:
- First, individuals and organizations provide funding that will allow the disadvantaged business to receive free services, reduced-cost management consulting and training services, and micro loans.
- Second, disadvantage businesses engage our services not only because we are affordable, but because we understand their business needs, we are a trusted partner, and we empower them to succeed.
Since 2009 we have served entrepreneurs and leaders of small businesses in Virginia, District of Columbia, and Maryland. Our clients fit one or more of the following characteristics:
- For profit and nonprofit
- Start-up and advanced stage firms
- Women owned
- Minority owned
- Young entrepreneurs
- Retired executive entrepreneurs
- Veteran entrepreneurs
- Low income